The world's safest bicycle helmet isn’t a helmet. Hövding 3 is an airbag for cyclists that is worn around the neck like a collar. In the event of an accident, the airbag inflates and forms around the head and neck like a protective hood. According to scientific studies, the airbag technology protects up to 8x better than traditional plastic helmets.
Highlights & News of the Hövding 3 Airbag Helmet
- NEW - BOA closure for individual size adjustment
- NEW - Bluetooth to connect to the Hövding app on your smartphone
- NEW - selected ICE contacts are automatically notified in the event of a bicycle accident
- NEW - Extended battery life up to 15h active cycling & battery status with charging reminder
- NEW - opportunity for analysis of personal and collective bicycle data
- Ergonomically shaped collar is worn around the neck
- Protects head and neck in the event of a fall
- Designed for urban cycling (including e-bikes up to 25 km/h)
- Airbag activation in case of a fall by integrated sensors
- Activation by snap fastener on the zipper trailer
- Acoustic and visual (LED light) signals on activation and deactivation
- Charge via USB cable
- Foldable and easy to transport
- For a head circumference of 52-59cm & neck circumference of 32-45cm
- Designed for cyclists from 15 years
Hövding in Slow Motion
Why is the Hövding Airbag so safe?
Concussion is one of the major causes of brain injury. A hard impact, such as a fall from a bicycle, can very quickly lead to a concussion. Even when wearing a conventional helmet, the risk of a serious or fatal injury can hardly be excluded.
Unlike a traditional helmet the Hövding is an airbag that in the event of an accident expands to become both thicker and softer than a normal helmet. This reduces the risk of concussion up to eight times and almost completely eliminates the risk of skull fracture.
How to use Hövding 3
Technologies of the Hövding 3 Airbag Helmet
The airbag is designed like a hood and made in an ultra-strong nylon fabric that won’t rip when scraped against the ground. Hövding protects nearly all of the head, while leaving the field of vision open. The inflated airbag covers a much larger area than a traditional cycle helmet and is designed according to current accident statistics. Tests have shown that the protection is greatest where it is needed most.
The airbag fixates the neck and provides extremely soft and gentle shock absorption. The pressure remains constant for several seconds, making it able to withstand multiple head impacts during the same accident. After that the airbag slowly starts to deflate.
The gas inflator that inflates the airbag is a so called cold gas inflator that uses helium. It is placed in a holder in the collar on the cyclist’s back.
Thousands of tests were done, re-enacting cycling accidents using stunt riders and crash-test dummies, to collect the specific movement patterns of cyclists in accidents. In parallel, an equal amount of normal cycling data has been collected using test cyclists wearing Hövding in everyday cycling. Based on this collected data, we have developed an algorithm that can distinguish normal cycling from accidents.
When activated, Hövding records the cyclist’s movements 200 times a second. In the event of an accident, the cyclist’s abnormal movement is detected and the airbag inflates.
The material of the bycicle airbag
The collar is made of waterproof, functional fabric that provides the best possible protection for the built-in airbag system. The collar isn’t washable but is protected from wear, sweat and dirt by the surrounding fabric shell. Any marks on the collar can be rubbed off carefully with a damp cloth.
A fashionable and very safe accessory
The collar is ergonomically designed with even weight distribution across the shoulders. It is slightly heavier at the back than at the front so that when cycling the weight is resting on your back. The enclosing cover also makes it possible for you to change the appearance of your Hövding. The cover is easy to remove and wash, or change for a different one to match your mood or personality.
Important manufacturer information:
- The covers / collar of Hövding 3 / 2.0 / 1.0 are not interchangeable.
- Hövding must only be activated after being placed around the neck
- The Hövding is designed exclusively for cycling
- The airbag must not be used during road cycling, artistic cycling, mountain biking, off-road cycling, downhill biking or special bikes such as unicycles, tandems, recumbents or BMX bikes.
- Dysfunctions can occur when wearing certain hairstyles, headgear and earrings.